Tuesday, December 11, 2012

 

Benevixitist

A learned and reclusive friend calls himself a "benevixitist." The coinage is inspired by Ovid, Tristia 3.4.25:
Crede mihi, bene qui latuit, bene vixit.
That is, "Believe me, he who has concealed himself well has lived well."

When I announced that I wanted to publicize the word "benevixitist," my friend replied:
I'm glad you're willing to give the word an airing. Perhaps it will be condemned to remain a hapax or will the benevixitists among us at last be tempted to break cover, come out of the closet/hut/burrow/attic/cellar/lair (briefly) and whisper "My name is _________ and I'm a benevixitist". I hope in any case that no factional strife will break out with the more radical lathebiosasts. In matters latuitarian I'm latitudinarian. An anchorite's as good as an eremite and we can all live happily apart under our respective stones.

Towards a glossary of benevixitist heraldry:
lion couchant (in very tall grass)
mantled helm (visor lowered)
moon decrescent
castle triple towered

Mottoes: latenter vivendum; cavendo tutus

Jean Baudoin, Recueil d'emblèmes divers
(Paris: Jacques Villery, 1638),
pp. 580-581 (De la solitude)

Related post: Live Unknown.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?