Friday, December 18, 2015

 

Hic Rhodus, Hic Salta

Bill Vallicella, the Maverick Philosopher, writes about the proverb Hic Rhodus, hic salta:
Perhaps an erudite classicist such as Mike Gilleland could say more on this topic. He would have to do at least the following: dig up all the ancient sources in Greek and Latin; trace the saying in Erasmus and Goethe; comment on Hegel's variation on the saying in the Vorrede zur Philosophie des Rechts, explaining why he has saltus for salta; find and comment on Marx's comment on Hegel's employment of the saying.
I have already done some of what Bill asks here, in an earlier post. I would have sent the link to that post in an email to Bill, but I've lost his email address.

By the way, I have known a few truly erudite people in my life, and I am an ignoramus compared with them.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?