Saturday, January 09, 2016

 

They Would Make You So Happy

J. Moultrie, "Memoir of William Sidney Walker," in The Poetical Remains of William Sidney Walker (London: John W. Parker and Son, 1852), pp. iv-v (quoting from a "narrative of Walker's early years" written by his mother):
He had read History extensively at five years old, and Poetry still more devotedly; and it is a known circumstance that when, at six years old, the tailor came to measure him for his first suit, he was sent into what was called Sidney's little study, a small quiet room he much favoured; and on the man stating his errand, and his mother repeating it, Sidney said, "I am reading, come and tell me about this line; I cannot tell quite what Milton means here." To which the man replied, "I know nothing about books, Sir, I am come to take your measure for your new clothes;" and poor Sidney was obliged to put down his Milton, saying, in his always sweet manner when a child "I am so sorry you do not know about such books, they would make you so happy."



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?